CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Flat Tire? No Problem.

This morning, Zoey and I were heading out to the garage to get in the car and I noticed our Honda CRV tilting a little to one side. As I walked around to the passenger side, I saw the reason why it was leaning. A flat tire.

Bummer.

Shock and panic set in. I was supposed to meet my friend in 20 minutes to pick up her baby and watch him for the morning. After I called her and let her know about my situation, I weighed my options...call Dave and have him come home on his conference period to change it or call a tow service...and I decided to go with secret option three.

I will change it myself.

Now, I am the daughter of Anthony Leo. He taught my sister and me many things about our cars. He showed us how to change the oil, how to check the fluids, and of course, how to change a tire. I've helped change tires before but I had never taken on this task by myself...and with a toddler in tow. My first step was to set up the pack & play in the garage for my Zoey. Aaahhh, man she loves being in her pack & play. She loves it so much she "screams" for more. (did you sense the sarcasm?)

So, with the added challenge of a screaming 15-month-old, I found the jack and started loosening the lug-nuts. The scene from my garage must have cried out, "Help Me", because it wasn't long before the garbage truck went by and Romero, the driver of the truck, asked if I needed help. I told him I was pretty sure I could do it by myself. A few minutes later I hear the "beep-beep" of a large truck backing up. It was my good pal Romero wanting to double check and see if I needed help. I told him I really wanted to try to change the tire on my own, but if he had time to swing by in a few minutes, I might need help tightening the lug-nuts. He said no problem and I continued...all the while singing songs to Zoey.

The hardest part, for me, was putting the new tire back on the....the thing where the tire goes. It was really heavy and difficult to line up the holes with the screws. After five or six tries, I got it. Then I tightened everything I was supposed to tighten and I lowered the jack and put everything away.

A few minutes later, Romero came back and made sure the lug-nuts were on securely. He mentioned that he was worried about me driving on the highway with a baby and a loose tire. Very fatherly. He said I did a great job. Yea!!!

I did it! And by myself. Needless to say, Dave...and my dad...were so proud.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed in so many ways! Firstly that you changed the tire, secondly that you knew your garbage man's name, and thirdly that your garage was clean enough to set up the pack-n-play. Yay Jenni!

Mona Warski Leo said...

Way to go, Jenni! Your dad and I are so proud of you. You are Supermom!!!

Spirit of Adoption said...

Oh wow! I'm proud of you too! I wouldn't have even attempted it! : ) One time (I was about 13) I aired up a tire...and it blew up in my face (I aired it up a little too long!!!). The Dr said it was amazing that I didn't lose my hearing! It scared me NUMB! So, I just prefer to stay away from tires now....whatever the issue! ; ) Way to go, girl!!!

Eddo said...

And Eddo was impressed too, but not by the tire changing but by this line: secret option three.

HAHAHA. Secret option 3. That is so funny to me, like you were hiding this option from us for all of one sentence! I love it. :)

Eddo said...

PS. Every post needs to include a picture of Zoey. We can't get enough of her cute face. I'm actually recommending a daily photo.

Dwelling said...

Jenni,
You are incredible, I mean really! When Kim and I turned 16, my dad took time to show Kim how to change a tire, care for a vehicle, etc. On my 16th he handed me a map, a AAA card and told me to pull over and call highway patrol if I ever had a flat. There is no way I could ever attempt it. I am so impressed!